Friday, March 5, 2010

Week 6- Fattening Foods


I read this article this morning about "The Worlds Most Fattening Salads".
( http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/47832/the-unhealthiest-salads-in-america/ ) Okay maybe it's not the world's, but America's. Anyway- I was happy to find that the salad I've been wanting to try at Carl's Jr. isn't on the list. I'm sure it's pretty damn close though! I was really shocked at how much fat was in each of these salads. With Alli, I'm supposed to limit my fat intake to 13-19 grams per meal and 11 per snack (otherwised the bad stuff will happen!!) One of those salads had 65 grams of fat!! That's almost my whole day!! For that matter, the calories were nearly 1000, which is pretty close to my whole day target too!

So, did anyone catch  DR. OZ yesterday? I swear it was an episode made for me. It was about fighting obesity and what some of the long term damage you're doing to your body by staying over weight. The last time I donated blood, they notified me that my cholesterol was really high and that I needed to take action. When I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes and was told that I need to change my diet and exercise more or else it would be permanent. Dr. Oz spoke about high triglicerites and cholesterol, but the one he said would KILL you faster was diabetes. That was really hard to hear, but sobering as well. Diabetes runs rampant in my family and I know that I'm at a higher risk both genetically and because of my weight. My ex's Mom struggles with her Type 2 Diabetes, and most recently I've heard that she has horrible liver damage and has not been able to keep her insulin levels under control, landing her in the hospital a lot. The idea of that really bothers me! I know, poor Janet can get it under control with proper diet and exercise and she's not doing it. I don't want to be 50 and having the same issues. I can turn it around now, and I've heard so many success stories of people who have had type 2 and taking insulin, and who have been able to get it under control so that they no longer need insulin anymore too.
The point of all this, is that it scared me. It got me thinking a lot. My little tyke was crawling around all over the place as Dr. Oz was talking away and I just can't stand to think that I could be doing something to myself that could potentially be interfering with my ability to be there for my son. It's just one candy, or a slice of pizza or whatever- but what I need to say to myself when I want to "cheat" is- ," If you keep eating this way, your baby won't have a Mom." Even typing that hurt, but it's the truth. Something to think about eh?

So, Dr. Oz also had some really good tips on foods that are good for you and beautifying. Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that when they gained weight, okay.... When I gained weight, my hair got really frizzy and crappy? I've noticed this trait in other fluffy girls too. Dr. Oz recommends flax seed oil to bring back the shine and nix the frizz. I guess, while I'm trying to get skinny, I can have good hair too! I want to try it out :) They gave a recipie for Spinach Raspberry Flaxseed smoothies. It's an antioxidant, healthy, mood boosting, and good for your hair. I like it! Here it is. Tell me if you try it before I do!!



Loaded with protein to satiate your appetite and fiber to keep you full and regular – this breakfast shake you will help you eat less throughout the day! For a beauty bonus, the flaxseed oil adds some extra shine to your hair.

Ingredients
Serves 4
1 banana
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup orange juice
1 container non-fat strawberry yogurt
8 baby carrots
Handful fresh spinach
2 tsp flaxseed oil
2 scoops vanilla protein powder ( any brand)
¼ cup dry oatmeal

Directions
Combine all ingredients in blender with ice. Blend until smooth and serve.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

oh thank God my favorite crack salad isn't on the naughty list!!!